Ticket Information

What Can I do About My Ticket?

You have options.  Appearance in court is your right, but it is not necessary.  You can handle your ticket online or at the court lobby windows. Your options are as follows:

  • You can keep a ticket off your record in three ways
    • You may qualify to take a driver’s safety course
    • You may request a Deferred Disposition (probation)
    • You may be eligible for a compliance dismissal
  • You can request a payment plan or an extension to pay
  • You can pay the fine
  • You can contest the ticket and go to court


Juveniles Receiving a Ticket

If you are 16 years of age or younger and you received a citation, your parent or guardian must appear in court with you before the Municipal Court Judge.  This is a Texas State law.  A notice will be mailed to the address given to the Officer by the violator at the time of the ticket was issued.  

 If you fail to appear, a notice is sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS).  The DPS will suspend your driver’s license or prohibit you from getting or renewing your driver’s license.  

The parent of any juvenile charges is required to be present in court with his or her child.  Failure of a parent or guardian to appear with a juvenile constitutes a separate misdemeanor offense by the parent.  Attorney’s representing juveniles are required to be present at the hearing along with the child and parent.

What Happens if I Ignore a Ticket?

If you ignore your ticket, you may face additional violations such as a Failure to Appear charge. Your case may be reported to a collection agency and additional fees and fines may apply.  Additionally, a warrant of arrest may be issued.  

Driver's License Holds and/or Surcharges

The Texas Department of Public Safety is the State agency that would put a hold on your driver’s license and assess surcharges.  If you have questions about surcharges or a hold on your driver’s license, you can call the Department of Public Safety Driver’s License Customer Service phone number for assistance.  That number is (512) 424-2600. Y