As of October 1, 2020, The City of Spring Valley Village will no longer be accepting paper copies of plans and permit applications. All documents including application can be uploaded to our permit portal HERE. Contractors should use the below information to help guide them through the submission and permitting process. If you have any questions regarding the review process or the issuance of permits, please contact City Hall at 713-465-8308.
The City of Spring Valley Village prides itself on fast turnaround on plan submittals. Most instances a residential project will take 7 to 10 business days to receive comments, that will be sent back to the contractor for revisions. Most residential projects will include two separate reviews (Building and Engineering). Electronic submittals ensure that the City can get plans to our review team in a timely manner, ensuring you can start your project as soon as possible. Please note that all new Single Family Homes will require sign-off by the Planning and Zoning Chairman prior to issuing permit.
The review time for commercial plans are the same and must also be reviewed by the Fire Department at an offsite location. Additional information may be obtained by calling 713-465-8308.
Single Family Dwellings
Plot Plan from a registered professional land surveyor must be provided indicating the location of all structures and flatwork to be constructed on the site.
- A tree disposition/survey must be provided.
- Drainage plan must be in place.
- Calculations should not exceed 60% lot coverage behind building front setback line.
- Must be engineered
- Provide soils report
- Floor plan with exterior elevations; building height not to exceed 36 feet high
- Framing details
- Electrical (load analysis), plumbing (gas riser diagram), and mechanical
- Fire sprinkler system design must be provided; requires review from the Fire Department prior to permitting
- Provide 3rd party Energy Code compliance report
Additional information is available by calling the permit office at 713-465-8308.
Single Family Dwelling Remodeling
You should have 2 sets of scaled building plans with a description of work, floor plan, and any changes in electrical, plumbing, and mechanical system.
Summary of Inspections
The following is a brief summary of inspections conducted by the Inspection Department:
- Ground Rough-In Plumbing
- Foundation (form survey must be provided prior to inspection)
- Framing (which includes electrical, mechanical rough-in, and plumbing top out)
- Wind storm (straps and clips)
- Final Inspection
Inspections may be called in before 4:30 p.m. to be scheduled for next day
Other Required Permits
Proof of General Liability Insurance is required on all permits obtained from the City of Spring Valley Village with the City stated as the Certificate Holder on the "Certificate of Liability Insurance." For more information, please visit our Permits Applications page.